View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #70
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski
I'm planning a similar trip in 2011, don't know what month, maybe in August or September. Looking at the attached map can someone advice how are the road conditions, and are most roads paved or gravel. I own a FJR and it's not the best bike for gravel/dirt. But, she was great from Chicago to Alaska this year.

You'll be riding gravel from Manic 5 (at the bottom of that circular lake north of Baie-Comeau) to Red Bay (on the southern Labrador coast) with only a few fairly short paved sections along the way. Figure on about 700 miles of dirt/gravel.

I would strongly advise you not to take the FJR on the Trans-Labrador Highway. The conditions are highly variable, but will definitely involve long stretches of loose gravel with few or no tracks in it.

Two guys did the ride last summer on sport-touring bikes, but they had a hard time and a number of crashes, and both bikes incurred damage from flying gravel and whatnot.

So unless you're extremely comfortable with the bike shimmying around beneath you and don't mind trashing your FJR, I'd recommend either picking up a used KLR or V-Strom to do the trip on, or skipping the Trans-Lab until you have a bike that's better suited to the conditions.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote