View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
This symbol ">" displayed on the fuel range means greater than.

The crux is that most BMW bikes including the F800 have strange shaped fuel tanks. The fuel level sensor is not in a place to be able to tell just how full the tank is, but simply that there is more then 2.4 us gallons.

So if your tank is fullish, all the computer knows is that there is somewhere between 2.4 and 4.2 us gallons.

As such, the computer assumes worst case (2.4) and displays the ">" symbol to let you know that your range is likely at least X miles, but may be much more.

Once fuel gets down to a level the sensor can read, the ">" symbol will disappear and live computations will commence.

As far as I know, the only thing changed on newer models is that the range does not count to zero but rather changes to display "--" when range is very low. I do not know if software updates will change this functionality on older models.

Note: the OBC estimates range bassed on averages of past performance, current rate of usage, and other factors.

The OBC's estimate of your range is just a guess. The computer has pretty good information of what has happened in the past, but no idea what will occur in the future. Changes in terrain, elevation, wind, fuel energy content, riding style, payload ect are beyond it's capabilities to control for.

Take the range as a potentially helpful estimate at best.

When the low fuel light kicks on, at best, you really need gas soon!

Actually since BMW is not known for sourcing the best fuel level sensors, there is no reliable substitution for an awareness of how many miles ago the tank was filled versus what demands have been placed on the fuel since.

I strongly encourage use of a trip meter :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote