View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
yamafitter OP
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Day 4 - Rest Day

We were awake early enough to catch the sunrise over the mountain behind the lodge lighting up the mountains on the other side of the lake...

Since this would be a rest day some of us took the opportunity to rinse some of the Mexican dust off our riding gear while our mascot, Dolly the Wonder Pup looked on...

After breakfast it was time to do a little maintenance on the bikes. First we had to rinse off all the dust to find the bike...

Then it was time to change air filters and clean, adjust and lube the chain. Scott had more work to do on the 530 KTM. He wirked on making a more permenent repair to the gas tank and do a few more oil changes to get all the water out of the crankcase of his thumper...

Chris worked on the other KTM in the group trying to bleed the rear brake and put some back end stopping power back into the big KTM.
A group of us having completed our chores took the opportunity to go with Ivan into the town of Choix. Barak, Paolo and Pat rode their bikes but I had just finished washing my riding gear and didn't have a thing to wear. Plus I wanted to ride in the truck and listen to Ivan tell us about the area. Don, Joe, Phil & Ken also piled into the truck and off to town we went to gather supplies, more oil for Scott and brake fluid for Chris.
On the way into town we passed by a cemetary. Since the Day of the Dead had just past most of the headstone were still decorated by families honouring the dead...

The roads as we got closer to Choix were improving over those we had ridden the day before...

The photo was taken through the windshield of the truck and is a little washed out but hopefully you get the idea.
First stop was to pick up some cervesas and since it was getting close to noon, Ivan took us to a hot springs he knew for a relaxing soak before heading into town...

Barak has underwater footage of Don's beer belly. Very distrubing stuff not rated for general audiences...

I took a short hike down towards the river to check out one of the longest train trestles in Mexico...

We also spotted one of the locals' home near the river...

While walking back up towards the hot springs the local cattle were making their way down to the river...

The donkies on the other hand were making whoopie ...

I gave the donkies a wide birth since I had no desire to get any closer.

As Paolo left the hot springs heading to town he had to negotiate under the volleyball net. This reminded me of an earlier time when we used to play road hockey and had to move the nets off the road to let the cars by...

Here is another home in the village...

As we drove towards the dam, we past a field of blue agave used in the making of tequila...

When riding or driving the roads of Mexico, one must be always aware of all the animals that wander the roads...

We then came to the reason that Lake Huites exists, a fairly new hydro electric dam just outside of the town of Choix...

In Ontario, Canada we refer to the distribution power lines coming from the dam as "hydro lines". Russ the hillbilly in the group (he is from Arkansas) couldn't understand this since he didn't think there was any water flowing in the lines. What a Goober.

We parked the truck in the main square in town since this would make it easy for everyone to find the truck later...

I found the town's ATM machine and used my card to get some more pesos. Others in the group were carrying US cash and went into the bank to change it into pesos. Unfortunately the bank would not accept US cash due to the rampant money laundering issues. Some of the smaller shops were willing to accept US dollars but as a rule the exchange rate was poor and the larger institutions would only change very small amounts if they did it at all.
The lesson in this is carry minimal cash, have an ATM card on hand and you will be OK. I spent at most 100 pesos on gas a day and less than 100 pesos on lunch. The bar tab was also pretty cheap by Toronto standards.
Since this is supposed to be a ride report I thought I should take a few photos of two wheeled transport in town...

We were looking for a pharmacy to pick up a few pills for some of the boys that were feeling slightly off and I snapped a photo of some locals...

Ivan took us to a local restaurant in town for lunch. We walked by the town clocktower on the way...

Barak climbed the tower to get some photos and while at the top dropped his polerizing filter for his Canon DSLR. It landed in the flowerbed and survived without a scratch. Canon makes good gear but I still like my Nikon D300 DSLR.

Lunch was slow due to a tiny kitchen but I'm retired so I have the time and was in no rush. The food was worth the wait. It was getting time to head back to the lodge and as we passed out of town a few of the locals were at the local car wash...

When we turned off the main highway we came around a turn on the dirt road and was confronted with a burned out hulk of a pickup that had not been there when we came into town. I will post photos of it the next morning in my next post. It's too bad I don't have a before and after shot.
As soon as you leave the larger towns the proverty of the area is very apparent...

Though sometimes you will see a sattilite dish hanging from the side of a home like this.

When we got back Chris had the brakes working again on the 990 Adventure and after flushing the crankcase with diesel fuel and a few oil changes, Scott had the 530 ready to go. Maybe the "K" in KTM doesn't stand for "Krap" afterall.

Next Post - We head for the coast.

yamafitter screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 01:30 PM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote