View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #40
yamafitter OP
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Day 5 - Lake Huites to Huatabampito

For some reason that escapes me I woke up in the middle of the night. Since I was up I thought it would be good to try and capture the night sky at Lake Huites...

The star gazing was amazing...

I then went back to bed to rest up for the longest ride of the trip.
After breakfast and the usual riders' briefing the first challange was to get out of the driveway. The driveway was steep with deep ruts and some loose sandy spots. Chris didn't have quite enough momentum and toppled the 990 KTM. It was pretty funny.
I made it without any issues and then waited... and waited ... finally some of the others finally made it up and onto the road. Scott of course had no issues and started off down the road without the others. I should mention that Scott was our ADD poster child on this trip.
Near the end of the dirt road we came upon the burnt out pickup that we had seen the afternoon before. The locals had also found it and were in the process of helping themselves to the good bits. Scott thought he should supervise...

We then continued onto the town of Choix to gas up and then headed down the pavement to El Fuerte. We stopped at the old fort and when exploring while Sheely went to exchange some money and Ivan went to buy some box lunches for later on...

When we stopped I could smell something burning and then I saw smoke coming from under the seat of my Yamaha. At first I thought I had an electrical short and was in a panic to get the seat off but then I realized I could smell antifreeze and after a closer look I found that the overflow line from the rad to the coolent tank had touched the exhaust and had burnt through and antifreeze was leaking onto the exhaust. Not a big deal. A little tape and a zip-ty fixed the problem and we went to explore the fort...

The view of the town from the top of the walls of the fort...

The fort also had a commanding view of the river...

The gardens in the fort were nicely maintained...

There were also some displays as part of the fort...

Don & Ken had found a shady spot and were resting up...

In the meantime this hard working Mexican was hauling sand up to the fort for some work that was going on...

Scott being ever so unrestful took a few loads up to help out.
It was time to get back on the bikes and head back onto the gravel / dirt roads heading towards the coast. About halfway across we found a nice shady tree and stopped for lunch...

Shelly took the opportunity to teach Dolly the Wonder Pup to drink out of a bottle...

Next step - cervesa!!!
Note the trials tire on Shelly's bike.
Soon we were back on pavement and shortly there after we pulled into the bar at Huatabampito. MotoDiscovery had booked a couple of beach houses and while the staff was getting those squared away a couple of us took the bikes out on the beach and played. Here is a link to a video of Scott mucking about...

The shrimp that night at dinner were huge...

The entire meal was excellent. After the meal the rest of the group retired back to the beach houses to drink MY cervesa. Ivan and I stayed at the bar and watched the Manny Pacquiao / "Tijuana Tornado" Antonio Margarito title fight on TV from the Jerry Jones Palace in Dallas TX.
At first TV reception was not good so the owner climbed up on the roof and using his cellphone called down to Ivan on his cellphone and manually turned the antenna until we got a better signal. Remember - This is Mexico afterall.
After the fight (Pacquiao dominated the fight with tremendous hand speed) it was after mid-night and when I went to get into the house and found myself locked out. Not only did they drink my cervesa, they also locked me out. Not a very friendly group!!! After banging on the door and then climbing through a barb wire fence to get onto the beach I was able to get into the back entrance and climb into bed.

Here are the stats on the day...

Next Post - Alamos

yamafitter screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 04:29 PM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote