View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #68
yamafitter OP
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 224
Day 8 - Chinipas to Paraiso del Oso

There was quite the discussion at breakfast about our nighttime visitor. What started out as 1 guy who scared us back into our room ended up as 20 guys with guns and we went out and opened up a can of whoop ass on them by the time I was done telling the story. Somehow I don't think Ivan believed me.
We will never probably know the story as to why the guy was there but as mentioned eariler, nothing was touched so it was time to get going. The road immediately started climbing back into the surronding mountains as we followed a ridgeline to the top...

We stopped near one of the local mines to gather everyone up and to make sure we had our bearings correct...

Whenever you are near a mine there is a possibility of coming across a military checkpoint...

Remember to play in full-screen mode.
Taking pictures of the police or military is a no-no but I forgot I had the helmet camera recording at the time.
We were taking a short break at an interestion gathering everyone up when Don got this shot of our token hillbilly, Russ...

It was a realatively short day and we rolled into our hotel, Paraiso del Oso Lodge by mid-afternoon...

We had lots of spare times on our hands so we decided to go into town and do a little sightseeing to check out the Jesuit mission in Cerocahui. I was the only one to ride over as the rest of the group had already changed into tourist attire and rode over in the lodge owner's van. The mission was easy to find since it was in the town square and the lodge owner had given me good directions...

There was a little bit of activity in the square but acually the town was pretty quiet...

The rest of the group went for a walk to visit the Tarahumara Indian Girl's School. Chris and Phil had some candy to hand out to the girls. Fortunately Scott stayed back at the hotel or else the girls would have all ran inside to hide. Don took this photo and had previously been to the bar and was already a little "fuzzy" which might explain the fuzzy photo...

Meanwhile I had not really wanted to leave my bike & gear unattended so I headed back and stopped to take a photo of a indian couple walking back through the trees to their hut...

When I got off the bike back at the lodge I heard some yelling from the top of the cliff. At first I thought is was Scott and I was yelling back for him to jump but it was Barak that had decided to go for a climb...

Russ took this photo of yours truly relaxing before getting ready for dinner...

The owner is an American now living in Mexico so for dinner it was Steak & potatoes. Our bartender was an English girl (a POME - Prisoner of Mother England - as the Aussies would say) who was a licenced electrician back across the pond but had decided she wanted to see Mexico, saved up some pounds, quit her job and picked up an intern job at the lodge and was working her way around Mexico. Interesting girl to talk to.

After dinner, our guide Alphonso got a hold of a guitar and we had an inpromtu karaoke in the middle of the Copper Canyon region.

Here are the stats for the day...

Next Post - The final ride day

yamafitter screwed with this post 11-26-2010 at 01:23 PM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote