View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 416
Wow, a 4-month delay on the report … embarrassing.

I have spent the last months more on the road than at home, riding some 10,000km through Europe and flying crisscross over Mexico and the US … not much leisure time for writing.

Anyway …

The next morning I headed towards a ferry port which should bring me further south onto the Lofoten islands. When I got to the port I had to realize that there would be no ferry in the next hours.

So I went back and headed north to the harbor of Sto instead, where I wanted to check on the whale safari tours. The landscape was only getting better and better.

I am the king of the road …

When I showed up at the safari people I was told to reserve some weeks in advance. Not really an option for me - I had decided to come here only hours ago …

So I shrugged and turned around.

On the most southern Vesteralen island I decided to take the long way and follow the coastal road along its west coast. At some point the road changed from asphalt to gravel, consisting of sharp, recently shredded stones. I continued carefully, testing the grip of my Battlax BT21 – non-surprisingly there wasn’t much. Nevertheless, after a while I found myself happily cruising in 3rd
and 4th gear, trailing a cloud of dust.
About 20-30km later a road sign indicated road works ahead. What had I just left behind me, then?

The road ahead didn’t look any different. I continued, and even if there was still enough gas in the tank, it was getting late. Time to look for a nice place for the night. (I must have been pretty tired, otherwise I should be able to find some photos of that episode.)

In the end I set up my tent behind a hedge, next to the road. The last thing before I went to bed was a quick check on the bike. I would swear that last 50km of gravel had cost me at least 1mm of rubber.

The next morning I woke up early and immediately hit the road. I stopped in a small fisher village to get coffee and some bread for breakfast. Then I arrived at the ferry port to the Lofoten islands. While waiting for the ferry there was time to chat with some other bikers. Also I was again invited for some coffee by the people in the RV next to me, Germans in a woolen pullovers.

On the ferry

Approaching the Lofoten islands

pip_muenster screwed with this post 11-26-2010 at 03:56 PM
pip_muenster is offline   Reply With Quote