View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #69
yamafitter OP
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Last Day on the Bikes - Cerocahui to San Juanito

There was a heavy frost on the bikes when we got up in the morning and given the extra altitude there was just no way with the jetting I had in my WR450 that the bike was going to start on the magic button. I can't bump start the bike due to the Recluse clutch but fortunately I have the old standby kickstarter. Some choke, a few twists to the throttle to get the accelerator pump to give it a few squirts of Pemex go juice and a couple of kicks and the WR can to life. Once properly warmed up the Yamaha would now start with the magic button.
The first part of the day followed the "low road", a really fun road that follows the river at the bottom of a tight canyon.

Phil & Ken...

This spot was one of my favorite photo ops along the Low Road...

Pat (I think)

There is no mistaking Don & Miss Piggy...

From the low road we jumped back up on the pavement for the rest of the day.
Just as we got back onto the pavement all of a sudden Scott's ride came to an abrupt end. It appears that there were more loose nuts than just the big loose nut hanging onto the handlebars...

All but one of the bolts that hold the rear sproket were gone and the final bolt was on its way out when the sproket jumped off the hub and locked up the rear wheel. Fortunately Scott just skidded to a halt and did not go down but the ride was finally over and the KTM (Keep Tools Manditory) would shamefully finish this ride in the back of the truck. Since the KTM had already been on the truck before they already knew how to make room for the piece of Krap.
The drama did not end there. On the way into a small town there was an indian woman staggering out in the middle of the road. Apparently she has suffering from the afteraffects of some local corn beer that the local indians spend much of their time either making, drinking or recovering from. Almost everyone made it safely around her. Ken who was an commercial aviation pilot and now working for the FAA as a pilot examier tried to go between the woman and the guardrail. The woman staggered back and Ken clipped her knocking her down and sending Ken into the guardrail. A few locals witnessed all this and thought it was all pretty funny.
The woman has back on her feet wondering how she ended up on the ground. Ken was picking up the bike. Scott, Ivan & Shelly had seen the entire incident from the truck and were running up to check on everyone.
The lady was OK and the locals were trying to lift her over the guarlrail to get her off he road which she was having no part of. Ken & Scott had to give the bike handlebars a tweek to straigthen out the forks. The locals then told everyone to get out of there and our group took their advise.
Afterwards Ken the FAA guy was trying to write this off as a bird strike but I'm more inclinded to put this one down to pilot error.
With everyone back on the road and the 530 KTM on the hook we headed over to the new tram that runs part way down into Urique Canyon. They built a tourist observation center with a glass bottom deck. We were not the only crazies in Mexico as I observed this guy swinging from a rope...

There were some other crazies going across a bridge that I won't be riding my bike aross anytime soon...

The government's plan is to turn this entire area into on of the world's largest eco-parks and is actively promoting eco-tourism for the area. For those of us without vertigo issues we went to buy our tickets for the tram.
Don being cheap, pulled out his AARP card and got the senior rate. I flashed my Ontario driver's licence and also got the seniors' rate. I'm 58 years old. Paolo asked for the seniors' rate and was asked how old he was. He told the lady he was 62 and got turned down since you need to be 65 to get the rate. I don't know whether to be happy I got the senior rate or to be sad because I can pass for 65. Maybe I got the handicap rate due to my artifical knee. Yeah, I'll go with that since I don't ride a Goldwing which is an old man's bike but a muy rapido FJR Gen II AE.
We had to wait 15 minutes since the schedule is to run a load of tourists down, shut the tram down for 15 minutes and then return. There were also a group from Cuba that were going for the ride waiting with us...

Along with some American tourists...

I had no concerns about the tram since it was brand new and was built by a Swiss company well known for their ski trams around the world. Russ took this photo from solid ground since he wondered about Mexican safety standards...

Here are some photos from the lower landing of the tram which currently only goes part way down into Urique Canyon...

Some of the local indians were selling crafts to the tourists...

It wa now time to head back up...

I have a short video of some of the tram ride back out of the canyon. Remember to play in full screen mode...

From the tram we headed over to the canyon lookout at El Divisadero...

That's one dusty WR450F!!!

We went into the hotel for lunch which was IMHO overpriced and not very good. We should have gone across the street to the train station and got something from the street vendors which would have been quicker. Don, who is a train fan, took this photo of the Chihauhau - Pacifico train that runs through Copper Canyon...

There were also local indians selling crafts at this lookout. This is one of my favorite photos of the trip of an Indian woman weaving a basket...

Some people thinks she looks like Don. Poor woman.

We were now getting close to the end. Our lead group of Chicon, Chris, Russ and I were road racing back towards Creel. Chicon & Chris pasted this van just as we were getting into a real twisty section. The van driver didn't seem to like that and sped up. Russ has able to get by but I didn't have the top speed that they have and had to pick a better spot to get by or end up getting separated from the group. I had a good sight line on a lefthanded switchback and went for it but the van driver tried to race me just as a truck came around the next corner. I blockpassed the van but at the angle I dove in I started running out of road and was headed for the ditch on the mountain side of the road which was cemented but had collected some rocks. I had the rear brake on hard enough that the rear Dunlop 606 was skidding but I scrubbed off just enough speed that I was able not to go all the way into the bottom of the ditch where the rocks were. I then gave the Yamaha full throttle and popped back onto the road. Probably scared the van driver silly. I know I not only left a skid mark on the road, there was also one in my pants. It was a dumb move on my part and I know better but I was now ahead to the van. It took a topo (speed bump) at a railway crossing to shake the van off my tail since I bunnyhopped the topo and at the speed we were going that speed bump would have taken the front end right out from underneath that van.
We then rolled into Creel to pick up the trailer & van we had left there and to do a little shopping for family back home. This was one of the few opportunities I had for a group photo but it was like trying to herds cats...

Fom the left - Chris, Pat, Russ, Don, Joe, Shelly, Phil & Ken.
Missing from the photo was me since I was on the other side of the lens, Barak, Alphonso & Ivan who were busy hooking up the trailer to the truck, Scott who we wouldn't let in the photo since he DNF'ed and Paolo because he is a Toronto Italian.

It was time for the final section, the run up to San Juanito and the Noritari Lodge. we were trying to make it before sunset since we wanted to have all the bikes loaded before nightfall. It started cooling off in the long shadows but we all safely arrived except for Don who rolled into the lodge driveway and proceeded to topple over. We ran up the drive to help Don upright Miss Piggy and asked him what happened. Don said I hit a rock in the driveway. We looked around and found a pebble that had been distrubed. Out of he billions of rocks that we had crossed the last week and a half to be taken out by this pebble was pretty funny and not something we are about to let Don forget. I should have saved the pebble but I already had the heaviest gear bag and was in the penalty box because of it (that's why they drank all my cerveza at the beach house).
The owner of the lodge was a woman by the name of Sol who on our arrival concocted a tequila cocktail that was delicious...

She also works with ceramics and had her work displayed all over the lodge...

Dinner that night was one of the best of the entire trip.

Here are the stats for the day...

Next Post - I try to wrap this all up.

yamafitter screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 05:55 AM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote