View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #104
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
Throttle bliping...I'll leave that for H-D riders...

The savvy rider or racer (car or auto) knows that throttle bliping does nothing but make noise and wash down cylinder walls.

I was musing about camshafts recently...I miss those old 413 CI max wedge engines with their killer torque, able to slowly spin the rear slicks through their auto transmissions at the drags strip....with the air cleaner off, their carbs sprayed fuel all over at idle...cam overlap was to blame...my TR6C with T&M #6/#9 grind cam combo would wet my legs with gasoline at an idle...same culprit...cam overlap...both valves open at the same time.

Those who fit pipes/mufflers to boxers in the hope of getting some exciting sounds are barking up the wrong pipe...install cams with some overlap and you'll get that nasty sound you seek....

....and, now back to your regularly scheduled boxer FI map..

I await yours and JJ's latest details regarding the boxer EFI changes.
Another factor that many forget is that adding an aftermarket pipe or other plumbing apparatai can make a small difference but then so can dialing in the adjustments already there. Such as valve gap matching, TB matching, engine timing, tweaking the electrical connections into and out of the EFI, etc. But in the end it's the EFI that controls making power, where, how, and when. Improve the EFI and any subsequent plumbing changes will have the best chance of adding what improvements they are capable of.

And if I were to push this even further, whether any aftermarket aparatai would even be wanted.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590

johnjen screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 02:34 PM