View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,499
Re: Fech Fech

The RR.UK tank kit for the 690 E/R and a simple nav/roadbook bracket is a good solution for TUAREG.

I would not say the EXC is any more maintenence intensive (than any of the other manufacturer 450cc competition enduro machines on market)... BUT compared to the LC4 engined 690, it is. The three day ride you did in Tuscany (15 to 18 hours riding total) is approximately the number of engine hours you could expect to put on the bike in one day (possibly two for an amatuer event) of a desert rally. Often at much higher speeds, greater temperature AND often in deep sand = stress and heating of the engine, oil and cooling system.

I am sure that after the ride you did in Tuscany, that KTM took those EXC bikes to the workshop and serviced them. So, using the TUAREG rally as a model, I would expect that the EXC 450 would require two to three times the service (in regards to number of engine oil/filter changes) compared to the 690E when ridden by same rider in same conditions.

The trade off for the 690 E is that it is possibly 20 - 25 kgs heavier than the EXC in rally trim.

An alternative for a 400cc low maintenence intensive/longer service intervall rally bike would be SUZUKI DR 400E... In rally trim I would suggest it's weight/performance ratio would land somewhere between the EXC (lighter/powerful) and the 690 (more power than DR 400 but with more weight as well).

If your heart does not bleed orange, maybe the yellow bike is a consideration as good reliable amatuer rally bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote