View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #75
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI View Post
With respect. but imho this is the last thing that you should be doing. Running the bike without any load i.e. floating rear wheel won't do the engine one bit of good.........uneven cooling/oiling with a high risk of internal condensation forming.
Well....I didn't call it "Stupid Thread" without reason.

While I don't disagree with any of your measures....especially if they help you sleep better all winter. Those steps all seem sound precautions, but I'm not sure they are really necessary in every case. I think its hogwash to say running your bike ever so often will harm it. Letting it come up to temp should minimize or eliminate any potential condensation. Working thru the gears to splash some oil around ain't a bad idea either.....load or no load. the motor doesn't care if it has a load or not. All the parts are moving just the same. But what do I know?

I've seen many a bike "ready to ride" sitting on a dealer's showroom floor for 6 months to a year, and they don't have it bubble wrapped. And it doesn't seem to be harmful to it. Granted its indoors. But there are plenty of them out in the warehouse too. Like those hostages in the BMW repair shop for several months.....they don't take extra storage precautions on them.

But let's compromise. If your beautiful F800 is going to sit idle all winter, why not bring it into the living room and keep it on display? Give it the honor it deserves, keep it in a nice climatized enviro, and have a great conversation piece for the guests!

Otherwise, keep it ready to ride! Like Hardroad said. And ride the Mother...

HF

p.s. I've let a bike sit over 6 months, with fuel in the tank, and then fired it up and rode the dog snot out of it that same day....and for several more years. Never had a problem with it. But that was a 2-stroke with premix in the fuel. Maybe they are tougher than these 4T's. I donno...

And, I don't live in the Northern Hemisphere, either. So, I respectfully pass judgement to those who live in much colder climates than me....for their conditions.
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 06:53 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote