View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post

That looks a lot like a trip I took this summer.

My packing list is similar. If is doesn't fit in the GiantLoop + small tank bag it stays home. If I go out longer and the weather is unpredictable I usually end up with a small roll-top bag strapped to the GiantLoop to handle extra warm clothes, cooking kit, and food & beverages.

All clothes are nylon or some other synthetic material. For extended trips I never carry more than 3 shirts, pairs of socks, and 2 pairs of pants. About every 2 - 3 days I do wash and everything dries overnight.

I probably carry more in the way of spares than you describe for trips where I will be on my own (or expected to pull my weight). Besides the normal tool kit I usually bring along a spare tube, tow strap, headlight bulb, electrical test meter, 2' 12 gauge electric wire, chain tool and spare links, spark plug, clutch cable and lever, bailing wire, cable ties, liquid metal, and tape. I'll pack a small folding saw if I'm trail riding in areas that are not maintained.

I agree with Le Trainer about the tarp to go along with the bivy if rain or snow may be in the picture. Otherwise you'll get your sleeping bag wet which is never fun. The small silnylon tarps pack up smaller than a softball, or about 1/2 the size of a aeropress coffee maker.

Travelling light makes the ride more fun and packing easier.

Below is an earlier trip packed "heavy" with cook kit, five days of food & beverages, ready for extended cold rain, and even a camp chair. The added roll-top bag provides the needed space. I could tavel for months with this setup.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 01:51 PM
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote