: let the buyer beware.
Following is my experience with Rick Mayer Cycle, maker of custom motorcycle saddles. Draw your own conclusions and buy from him only after knowing the potential outcome.
The story is quite long and involved, but I'll try to give the major points here:
- Purchased a seat from RMC last year and it was uncomfortable, so I arranged a ride-in visit some 300 miles from home to have it "adjusted". The adjustment failed.
- I requested a refund by email, but got no response. Emailed a second time, again no response. So I decided to give up on RMC and order a Russell saddle.
- I sent the RMC saddle to Russell when my production date arrived. The day the seat got to Russell, they called me and told me that both the front and rear seatpan were cracked and useless. It turns out that in Rick Mayer's haste or desire to save money, he didn't make a new cover to match the adjustment and ended up stapling over the same area the stock staples and his first staples were. Russell was right, both seatpans were cracked and coming apart all along the rear perimeters, about 1/2" from the lip.
- So I scrounged around and ended up buying a second seat of seats...one from the dealer and one off the net, and sent those to Russell for the custom seat. I took the RMC seats and threw them out in the sideyard on top of the green waste cans.
- For the next four months, emails went back and forth between Rick Mayer and me. After initially pushing back several times, he finally agreed to a refund. I sent him the front seat (the rear had been totally destroyed, so I threw it in the garbage).
- Finally...FINALLY yesterday I get a refund check after months of promises. The check was for $200...half my purchase price. His response in email was that he gave me half because I didn't send him both seats.
RMC's guarantee is stated on his website:
Unlimited, and no fine print.
If I don't make you more comfortable...
I will buy it back!
But in reality, there is
fine print on another webpage on his site:
If a refund is requested after the customer has waited 30 days or longer to bring a problem to my attention, I will charge $2.00/day for the rental of my saddle beginning the 31rst day. Exceptions will be made at my discretion for weather/winter deliveries.
While his saddle may work perfectly well for you, be aware that he drags his feet when a refund is requested, and may only pay you $0.50 on the dollar. I recommend you check out the numerous other custom saddle makers before giving business to RMC.
Just my opinion...YMMV...caveat emptor.