View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #37
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
The evening before crossing the Rio Grande on the Hildalgo bridge at Reynosa, the posse was holed up in MacAllen at the usual LaQuinta on 10th street, with the idea of having dinner at the usual Republic of the Rio Grande. I invited some of my friends who live in Reynosa, Arte and his wife Paloma, to come have dinner with us.

Arte is pretty much THE MAN in northern Mexico when it comes to off-road riding in the Sierra Gorda. The list of ride reports in this area in his sig line is growing exponentially.

Arte gently asked if we already had our tourist card and TVIPs in preparation for crossing the next morning at Hildalgo. I told him the posse got TVIPs online, and planned to get tourist cards in Reynosa at the usual aduana.

"Well, you might want to think about getting them at Pharr", he said, explaining that the recent floods in Reynosa had closed the aduana near the Hildalgo bridge. So with Arte's wisdom in mind, in the morning the posse moved just a bit further east, and crossed into the Promised Land on a bright, blue, perfect Saturday morning. After paying the toll on the long, straight Pharr roadway, we pulled up to the open aduana.

Among the people to greet us was a Mexican army soldier, checking us out, sitting atop his vehicle behind his U.S.-made M19 grenade launcher.

A sense of calm enveloped me. I was glad to be out of the U.S. and beyond the reach of cell phone texting teenagers who put our lives at risk every day.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote