View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #936
_Mouse_ OP
Adventurer
 
_Mouse_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: South Wales, UK
Oddometer: 41
Progress!!

Well its over a year since the SSOD was rescued and Electrolytically de-rusted in my back yard. Since then it's been resting up against the garden fence going rusty again Sorry about not keeping you updated but I've been busy with other things in my life (sorry to brockster for the therapy. Have a virtual beer on me ) I could start a new thread with the build but as there are so many SSOD addicts thought it best to continue the story here.

Now the weather has turned nasty and by all accounts its going to stay like this for an extended period I decided I needed transport that was a bit more stable on patches of ice that I regularly have to negotiate on the way to work.

Basically the SSOD chassis was a long beast, probably a two seater (in-line) with boot space. So it was first shortened. Sadly there are no photos of this but I cut the front and rear off the chassis and removed the two cross members. Basically reducing it to its component parts so it could be assembled as a shortened chassis. Luckily I was also able to remove the two holes that had rusted right through the tubing which was a worry for me. The thickness of the tubing on every other cut was good so I'm not worried about any reduction in strength. After the front and rear bits were welded together the cross members were then welded on after I determined where the wheel was going to be mounted,

The original suspension unit would probably work but the bearings needed replacing as did the studs and nuts and I had a modern suspension left over from another abandoned project so fitted that instead.

The body was made from two plastic barrels that once contained cleaning solution for dairy milking machinery so I'm guessing non toxic and easy to flush out with water.

In total it has taken me three evenings and a morning to get to this stage and I have spent 16 on barrels, bought some nuts and bolts so I guess I've spent about 25 on the project so far!

The adjustable struts are simple things. They are shaped specifically for this vehicle so don't need the full articulation of the fully universal ones you would normally use on a home build.

First some daytime close ups of the build details and then on to the barrel bodywork.


the front of the finished chassis mounted to the bike. The home made adjustable struts are obvious and the slug of steel is to give it some weight for the test ride which was a complete success.




Close up of the home made strut. Made from some box section, some 8mm plate and M16 studding and nuts. Cheap as you can get and fully adjustable. I've used the same setup on my other side-car which was a bigger heavier beast and they were a success for about three years of hard abuse.


The adjustable end.



The middle mount. A simple arm out to the engine support bracket. There is enough clearance on the bolt hole to allow adjustment of the sidecar.




The removed middle section. Also the worst rusted!



One hole....


And the other hole.


Now its on to the bodywork. I spotted someone in the next town selling plastic barrels for 8 each on ebay. So I went and bought a pair of them and after some measuring and thinking I cut the tops off with a jigsaw in preparation for making a longer barrel.


I had a box of M6 x 15mm screws + nuts from a project years ago so used those to bolt a strap around one end of the barrel.


Then aligned the second barrel and drilled and bolted the two together.



Then it was out with the wok and a straight edge to mark out the opening and another bash with the jigsaw and the finished body was sitting in my grubby kitchen.


Molly had a go!


Not sure if she likes the way it wobbles.


Then out into the cold (about -5 Dec C) to drop it into the chassis. It fitted like a dream and was far more impressive in appearance than I was expecting,


I'll keep you posted on the rest of the build. I have a lot to do such as moving the 75ah van battery I need for starting the diesel engine to the outside of the sidecar to give it some balance.

There is a lot of work yet to do, I'll need some brackets to hold and support the relatively flimsy plastic barrel material and some support under the top opening. Then some course some lighting. The bike is reasonably heavy so I need to weight the sidecar down and will be moving the 75ah truck battery needed for starting from under the seat to by the sidecar wheel. A mudguard and possibly a tow hitch to complement the one on the bike.
_Mouse_ is offline   Reply With Quote