View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,902
V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

can't buy one. ya have to build it.

so with all these Kawasaki Ptwin powered bikes popping up all over, i figured i'd throw my hat in the ring once again...with a twist. this bike is going to be a gravel runner, not a dirt bike, and follow along the lines of my previous bike builds on this platform. proven performers over 25,000 miles and 6,000 miles of gravel roads. there might be a little fabrication work needed, as well as a little machining required. the emphasis will be on building an inexpensive bike that's still a good performer and easy to build. sort of an everyman's bike...fun, fast, and cheap. ya know, for those of us that are cheap SOBs, either through necessity or choice.

let's see how much bike can be built for 10% of the cost of a new Tenere. ambitious i know, but the budget for this build is going to be a grand total of $1200 initial cost. $1200 for a new rock and rollin' gravel runner, ready to ride.

when i got back from the maritimes in september, i knew i was going to build a new bike over the winter, and the long search for a suitable project bike began. months went by, but i finally found this one cheap. near new, scraped up plastic, and the price was ridiculous.

all i wanted from this bike was the engine and related items, the rest is being parted out. some parts already sold, and by the time it's gone i hope to have more than doubled up on the purchase price. now i have a new sport bike engine and everything required to make it run properly, plus some cash to get going on the rest of the bike.

gotta have a frame, let's sell the ninja frame and try a versys frame instead.

engine should bolt right in...think i'll hold onto the ninja frame while i try it out.

off to a good start. engine, frame, and the budget looks manageable at this point.

(stay tuned)

jdrocks screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 04:17 AM
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote