View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #238
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSQuester View Post
Okay, another question for you Poolside. This time safety related, and again, please pardon my ignorance if my lack of understanding of how these GS's work makes this a really dumb question.

Based on everything I've been reading here (and without actually ripping apart my new bike to check) it seems like these GS's have a "throttle by wire" system where there is no actual physical linkage between the throttle and the fuel valve(s), but rather everything is managed electronically. Is that right?

If so, then that's another potential area of concern if your device is going to be changing or overriding how the ECU responds to throttle inputs by using some kind of microcontroller connected up to the system. A device that just spoofs the air temperature sensor readings is one thing, and seems inherently fairly safe. But if yours do more than that, then there's a chance that a bug in your code could do something unexpected like switch the ECU into the Overrun Fuel Cutoff subroutine right when I need the throttle to get me through an intersection and out of the path of a semi.

Call me paranoid, but I'm an engineer and have seen how easily little design flaws in electronics or software bugs can trigger bizarre and completely unanticipated behaviour. That's one advantage large organizations like BMW have over one or two person enterprises - they have teams of people dedicated to all the detailed code reviews, fault testing, and validation that are required to ensure product safety... and even then problems can still crop up - can you say Toyota?
Good old throttle by "cable" but a valid point... unless Poolside says otherwise not valid in this instance though.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?