View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #73
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
cool i'd like a frankenberg. the ktm rear wheels are the same from 1993 until now.

how does a husaberg 6 speed spread compare to a rfs or husky te tranny?
There were at least 2 different gear sets and maybe even 3.

My 501 engine is an FE with the wide ratio tranny and it's definitely got a super low first and a screaming fast 6th. Personally, I find it to be a bit gappy but I'm used to a KTM 250SXF 6-speed which needs a ton of clutch in technical riding because of the tall first and only tops out at 70 to 75 with my current gearing (13/48).

The 600 engine is from an FC which is the motocross bike. It's got the close ratio 6 speed and, with my current 13/42 gearing, has a really good spread. First is fairly nice for technical riding without being a creeper gear and 6th is probably good for about 90.

In the early bikes, some of the FC motocrossers came with a 4 speed. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find that mine had the 6 speed.

The FX bikes may have had yet another transmission but I'm not interested in doing that research at the moment. If anyone needs actual ratios, I recall seeing them somewhere at the husaberg.org websight.

Tom