View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #154
MK Bike
D2T

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
... once we hit Manic 5, we either camp there or slightly above on the side of that large meteor strike lake on our second day of hard riding.
Willys: I have a detailed sectional map of the TLH (Manic 5 to HVGB) made from various screen shots of the Canadian Dept of Natural Resources topographical map website.
PM me if you want me to send you the booklet I made.
We found this very valuable in planning our camp sites.
There is an air strip in Gagnon. At the north end of the airstrip is a small road that leads to a lake. Perfect camp site.
For the next 3 nights we camped at various spots picked from surveying these maps.

Here is the main website: http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/

Quote:
So...the question still remains.....realistically how long will it take us to ride from our first campsite to the first ferry to Newfoundland....? And still enjoy all that the Trans-Lab has to offer???
We did in 4 days. BUT we took our time. The next part of your post is key to your schedule....

Quote:
We have a few guys who really are inexperienced on gravel, but after the first 100kms, they will be fine for sure...lol
I would advise you not to count on everyone getting comfortable with gravel. My riding buddy had years of dirt riding experience but he was still very cautious with the gravel even after 3 days. Myself I never had any dirt or gravel experience and I was riding at 50 mph on the gravel after 3 days. So it can go either way. With a large group the potential for diversion between the gravel comfort riders (40-50 mph) and the non comfort gravel riders (30-40 mph) will increase. I would recommend that you plan accordingly.

I have not yet finished my ride report (curse the work schedule) but here is a link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618482

Mike.
MK Bike is offline   Reply With Quote