View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #43
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

...Chronic issues I've become aware of apart from the upper chain roller is the cush drive bearing, which could have killed me when it failed, derailing the chain and locking the rear wheel, and I'm told the kill switch is an issue when exposed to bulldust and fine sand. The supposed fix which I've implemented is to remove the detent spring so it doesn't stay 'killed'.

I know of a couple of other DR650s locally with failed cush drive bearings, which the owners assumed to be one offs at the time. The training and tour company I'm associated with, Stay Upright, used to carry the cush drive bearings with them and often changed tham at the end of day maintenance.

My original cush drive bearing failed at 14,000 kms. Having a close look reveals that it is not centred on the sprocket, so there is twisting moment applied that possibly contributes to premature failure. I plan change it out at say every +/- 10,000 kms, or each new chain, or something, but failure is catastrophic, and painfull, and they only cost about $6 and take about 10 mins to change. It may also be that the original not having double seals didn't help.

Steve
Now you've got me worried. I haven't heard of the cush bearing failure before but I don't doubt (especially with the Stay Upright experience), that there could be an issue there. I would be interested to know how many other DR owners might have had the same problem but perhaps think that theirs was an isolated case.

I changed mine out, including wheel bearings, as a matter of routine service at around 15,000kms. They were all looking pretty 'ordinary' by then, but were only the single sided seal type (OEM), and having only been checked and lubed once previously. I did upgrade to quality CBC bearings (blue double sided seals) but can't remember how much they were, but do know they weren't cheepies. I don't understand how the bearing could be off centre in the carrier however. That is really strange.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote