View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #64
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
This day and last night marked another turning point in our trip.... it was quite a learning exercise for me....

If you'll remember at the outset of this fiasco I mentioned that the trip was the destination, not the actual ride or the destination....

I, like most goal oriented Achievers got Mexico in my head and in my heart... and frankly.. I know the best way to achieve a goal is to Keep your eyes on it while putting your head down and driving straight for it.... Period.... Anything not associated with that goal has No Value.... So what you just learned is I can focus... and be Pig headed once I'm pointed in a direction....

Mark Heard the Goals of the trip, He's floated about on Motorcycle trips across our great land Many Many times... he's our most seasoned rider and more importantly our best "Trip" taker.... he knows all this whole gig.... and he loves Live Music... As does Steve... I'm talking Live music... you pick... mostly Jass and such.....the other three of us.... we ride motorcycles and think we're the Wild Hogs.... ( knowing full well we're really just a group of mild piglets )

What all this trivia has to do with is for the last 4 or 5 days... Mark's been talking about going through Austin and spending an evening listening to XY or Z band that he's studied up on, who's playing on X Date.... I'm heading to Mexico... So while a bit disappointed he agreed and we went to Mexico... After Mexico, there's still great Music in Austin "ya Know".... and I'm going... Yeah.... Okay... but Austin is still another 150 miles or so out of our way.... and my Junk... we'll it's Just not the friendliest scooter in the whole wide world.... and right now 100+ miles seems like a lot to add....

So we're having this discussion over the period of a couple of days... and this day makes the absolute turning point.... and we reach a compromise of Going BACK to New Orleans... cause as it happens.... it will be Yet another Saturday night.... and we can Party like Rock stars again... and Mark can have another Dose of Live Music..... which will make him happy... A Compromise... Perfect...

But in the heat of this discussion...one should remember our occupations... Mark is a Lawyer.... and not a young inexperienced one... but a "real" one.... in other words he's a good arguer... he knows exactly how and when to push buttons.... and how much.... and I'm a Hick ass Pilot.... I know compartmentalization and crew team work... So the whole thing was Fun.... we are grown men.... who genuinely respect each other... so it's not bickering.... it's Well thought out discussion.... and this day it all ended in a Compromise......

OKAY.... I told you all of that to get to this one statement.... so if your still with me and not off chasing pictures of cars here's what I learned..... Mark at one point turned to me and told me........

" Keith... You Have No Ears"

in other words.... "Your not listening to me"... and that singular statement has really made me think about what others are saying.... at the time it made me "LISTEN" to him.... to stop my thinking about what I was going to say next and simply Listen to what he had to say..... THEN consider it and tell him he was full of shit AFTER I'd Truly listened.... ( Thank you Mark that was truly a gift in words )....

Oh and .... we didn't go to Austin.... ( mostly cause the other guys really didn't care to go .... they'd about had enough of Shit brown Honda's )
we'd been on the bikes for about a week at this point.... and they were ready for some more Beer and stuff in New Orleans.... everyone dreams of going to New Orleans and seeing girls dangling from the Balcony's showing off their assets.....Don't they? ( the fact that its' cold and rainy and the exact opposite time of the year for girls to be doing this means NOTHING cause we're guys and our brains.... well never mind )

So that's the Plan Stan....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 04:29 AM
KeithTurk is online now   Reply With Quote