View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #62
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue leader View Post
I also modded the fuel inlet on the carb so all the Safari litres get into the carb via gravity. It seems it actually holds about 38 l.

bergdonk
i recently test rode a DR650 with a 30 L safari tank, during the test ride the bike died. there was still some fuel in the tank but it couldnt get to the carb. i managed to sloch the fuel to one side and turn off the other side fuel tap and got the bike to fire and back to the shop. i have since purchased the bike and would like to know how you altered the fuel lines so all the fuel gets to the carb. the carb fuel inlet pipe is a steel pipe that is bent up the way, did you remove this pipe? i am no sure how it is inserted into the carb looks to be pressed and not removeable. how did you mod this pipe?
My research indicated that some had been able to carefully twist the pipe. I tried it, and also hit the carb body with a heat gun but it didn't budge and of course I didn't want to try tooo hard.

After some contemplation, I cut it off flush with the carb body. I then found in my collection of stuff a, I think, 1/8 BSP (or 1/4) fitting, 1/8 BSP to 3/8 hose. I didn't want to insert a tapered thread in there as there isn't much meat, so found a metric die that converted the 1/8 BSP (or 1/4) to a straight thread. Tapped out the bit of steel pipe left in the carb to match and screwed it in using Loctite 518 Master Gasket which I've used successfully in the past sealing fuel fittings. About 7,000 kms so far and no worries.

Get it wrong of course, and its a carb body

I believe that some DR riders have an extended breather hose off the cap and just blow in there to get fuel to the carb, but not my preference. Coming square straight out of the carb also meant that the hose and filter routing and connections is simpler.

The fitting I used was a straight one with the dimensions of the 90 deg one. I also shortened the barb length a bit too from memory.

Why carry all that fuel if all its good for is transferring to other bikes?

Steve

BergDonk screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 01:54 PM
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote