View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #105
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
Arrived,...really fast. I love it. Its nice and compact and clean. Great job.
Thanks again mac!

The compact size and light weight combined with the ease of use were all major goals in the design. Steel is really the best material for this job because it's strength to weight ratio is much higher than other materials like aluminum. In other words you use less material and get a much higher strength and the entire Trail Stand only weighs 10 oz.

I have seen some other aluminum types but they don't seem to publish what they weigh, even though they are larger diameter and not able to work on taller bikes. Some home made aluminum versions have 2-3 times as many parts and weigh twice as much as the Trail Stand. So don't be fooled that just because it's aluminum it is lighter, "the devil is in the details" as they say.

The hitch pin has a calculated 400 lb shear strength for instance. I don't rate the stand that high because it doesn't need to be for it's intended use and besides "the hulk" whose going to pick up 400 lbs.....not me...
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote