View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,221
Hey klaviator...I was born and raised in Huntsville; live in Madison now.

The interstate in front of the space museum.....many a full throttle sportbiker has met their maker on the west bound side. In the curve just as they approach the Rideout Rd overpass. It's a tempting high speed curve. I've been at over 150 mph on it myself. I don't recommend it.

You may know all this...but just in case....

As a long time motorcyclist, the best thing about Huntsville is it's only a few hours from the Smoky Mtns. There are some decent trails over in Bankhead National Forest just East of Decatur. For road riding look for towns like Skyline, Hytop, Hollytree.

Take a ride up to Winchester Tn. .....Head East on Hwy 72. Turn left on Hwy 65 in Paint Rock. Turn right on 146. Turn left on 79.

Oh and, when spring comes we have an 1/8 mile drag strip that has test & tune nights on Friday. A real hoot. Cheap fun. 15 bucks to get in and race all you want. 5 bucks for active military. You don't have to dog your bike, just have fun, Go here: http://www.huntsvilledragway.com/

You'll find Huntsville has a lot of people with ample money. You'll also discover it has so many H-D's you'll want to stick your finger down your throat each morning.

Also, check out Cycles Unlimited in Decatur. Cycle Gear on South Parkway. The closest BMW dealership is in Chattanooga or Birmingham. I prefer Pandoras in Chattanooga; plus it's a better ride taking Hwy 189 (Lookout Mtn Scenic Hwy)

Little River Canyon (Hwy 176) is a nice ride.

Just a few thoughts.....