View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #99
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
The stock "KTM-orange" colour on mine appears to be some kind of foil applied by the factory. These polymer plastic tanks are known to release fuel vapours over time, so choosing the right perforated foil or correct paint may be crucial to avoid peeling.

On mine the stock, big KTM-stickers won't stick and peel off. This no doubt caused by fuel vapours gradually dissolving the sticker adhesive.
For me this is no big deal, since these peculiarities are well-known in dirtrider circles concerning plastic tanks. I simply tear off the useless stickers and apply new ones - depending on daily moods and prefs there and then
The KTM rally tanks are painted in a special way from the factory painter, because they heat the tanks before they get painted and ist is a little bit of mistery how they do this job. So the color get no bubbles. I let paint my tanks twice from a professionell painter, also with a different mixture of colors ( waterbasis and chemical basis ) but all the time i get after three month a lot of bubbles.

For the foils you can use different printfoils, normaly everybody use digital printfoils, but there are a lot of differences too. !

Also when you have small holes in the digital print foils the stickers will hold some more time as without holes.

When you print stickers with the offset mode and not the digital mode, the foil can be very thick and is more resist against the petrol in the tank.
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote