View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
Mike.C OP
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
The Nevis

Well the weather closed in again, I am not so sure about "land of the long white cloud" more like "land of the gale force wind with torrential rain", but it's all part of travel so we took a bus out to Milford sound and went on a five star boat trip while we waited for another window of weather for a trip back up to Cromwell via The Nevis road.

What a trip it tuned out to be. I was very worried about the 27 stream crossings given the biblical rain that had been dumped on the ranges ovdr the last 5 days, spoke to a couple of locals and got some info and decided what the heck nothing ventured nothing gained. Sal was nervous never having ridden over a river before.

In the end it was a great if long day and one we will remember for a long long time, ADVriding at it's best. BUt enough of that let's get on with it.

We rode the Nevis South to North, and got to the turn off at Garston at about 3:15pm

About 1km in is a histroric ski hut.

The road follows the Nevis Valley thourgh some nice open rolling hills.

Past some rock formations that looked like the remains of a Tolkein ruin.

Then the fun starts, and we get to the first of the river crossings.

The first few proved to be easy.

With some nice bits in between.

But then they started to get deeper and more intimidating to a couple of dirt Noobs. Especially as we are travellers and a long way from help if we were to drown one of the bikes. Caution was the order of the as Todd from ADV riding school on the sunshine coast taught us we did "the $10,000 walk" at each crossing before committing.

Some of them had multiple paths through which only became clear when inspected for the easiest one.

The weather looked ominous and time was slipping by rapidly.

We both had a couple of offs, mostly because of a tricky approach or exit. Nothing major buit a lot of fun

Some were quite long and flowing fast after the huge rains.

Some steep exits needed a gut full of throttle to climb out of the creek, not easy after carefully negotiating the big rocks in the river bed. I dropped my bike on this one.

Sal was starting to get teh hang of it and confidence was good.

Some deep ones.

What a legend she is!

THe climb out of the valley is nice.

But then it descends down again, to more crossings.

And still more, will they never end?

BUt at 8:15pm we came round a bend and there was the gate, we made it.
It really was the best day's riding we have ever had and although some of the crossings were a bit hairy with the amount of rain over the previous few days, none were beyond the capability of the bikes if some care was taken.

Next we are off up the west coast to see what other ADV rides we can find, Hopefully to end up with a trip down through Molesworth. Depends on the weather, till next time..... Seeeya