View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
BHB's First XR600R + Winter Rebuild

I've been without a thumper for the past couple of years after owning a 2001 KLR and an 04' DRZ-S (should have kept the DRZ, it was sweet). I've just been riding my KTM950 for the past couple of years...but how I miss riding on trails of Eastern Oregon on a Thumper with the Bend Dual Sport Guys over there http://www.benddualsport.com/

Our resident "bike flipper" Wb-PDX here in Portland put up an 94' XR600R that he had found, got running, and flipped after owning two months just before the holidays. I happened to see it on our PNW Flea Market and just had a gut feeling about this XR and that WB-PDX was selling it...and the price was right: $1500.

This 94' XR has some good parts, and looks in pretty good shape. However it's very dirty, needs all new plastics, tires, sprockets, etc..so I'm electing to do a winter rebuild and get this XR ready for this next summer and do much of the labor myself. I want to thank Blakebird for his highly influential XR600 build thread and to Xrider and Mcma111 for all the sage advice about these venerable thumpers.

I just picked up this XR600 just before the holidays and finally had a free day today to start taking apart the XR and seeing just what I was in for. This bike is super dirty, and it's going to take some effort to bring a shine back to this XR. It's going to take some serious elbow grease.

Ready to Dive in!

Stripping the rear fender and accessories

The header is crispy

Making progress

Will be sending the stator off to BD for a rewind

This XR has a Mikuni Flat Slide Carb which runs ok, but I luckily have the OEM Keihin that I plan to re-jet and use.

Anyone know how to remove the throttle cable from the Mikuni Slider?? I've never seen this type of design.

Made a lot of progress today considering it was only about 35F outside. But it was very dry and sunny for January in Oregon.

I'm developing a long list for new parts and plan to take both the engine and suspension out to professionals for some TLC that this 16 year old XR could really use. I hope to get some time after work this week to finish taking apart the bike and then prepping and re-painting the frame.

Long Live XR's!!!

Brauhausbier screwed with this post 01-02-2011 at 11:22 PM
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote