View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
BHB didn't have too rebuild it, he wanted to rebuild it. I rode that bile a bit and was quite impressed. But I understand the desire to know that every nut and bolt has been looked at.

Stay well away from the rattle can. Powder coat it, or get it sprayed at a shop. You've gone through the trouble of tearing thing apart to the frame, get it finished properly.

I powder coated my XR650L frame and love it. Just be sure you put sacrificial bolts through all the threads you care about. Also, rubber plugs in all the holes you care about. Even with all that prep, you'll get blasting media in the down tube. Just flush it out with oil, mineral spirits, and atone or alcohol. Then change he oil 3 to 5 times within the first week.

Either with paint or powder, save yourself some scratch by blasting it yourself.

On the carb, there were some minor netting issues but it ran well. It started on first kick when warm, and would loft the front wheel at will. I'd say leave it and keep your eyes open for a pumped. Then you'll have some serious tuning headaches :o)

Have fun dude!
Thanks Hugo! Where did you get your XL frame powdercoated? Locally? I'd be interested to hear how you sandblasted the frame yourself too. Thx!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote