View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #51
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It looks like it will be another great day in the Rocket City; 50 degrees and mostly sunny. This will be my third day in a row of riding and a great way to start the new year.

First I have some business to take care of. I want to make sure I can get my scooter into the back of my truck. I had built a ramp extender and want to try it out.

I started with 4 pieces of 2 x 4 but had to go to 6 to reduce the ramp angle enough that the scooter wouldn't ground out.

Next on today's agenda, take my DR250 out and see how a motorcycle feels now that I've been riding a scooter.

Here they are side by side:

So I jumped on the DR and headed off. After riding the Super 8, the DR felt big and high effort......and it's only a 250 The super 8 has a much lighter throttle, no clutch, and it's even much easier to get on since I don't have to lift my leg over the seat.

I quickly come to the first speed bump that are all over the apartment complex roads. I can just ingnore it on the DR. A 21 inch front tire and long travel suspension just soak up and speed bumps or even pot holes.

The steering on the DR is much slower than the super 8 and heavier. Thats not to say the DR has heavy steering, it's much lighter than say a 600cc sport bike, it's just heavy compared to the super 8. Of course the DR has much more power, probably between 2 and 3 times as much.

I head straight south and eventually come to the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge.

Just like yesterday, lots of muddy water but no actual sign of wildlife
So I head back. I have errands to run.
Today was also nice in Roswell so I took all three bikes out for a spin. Coming off the DR650 and on to the Agility makes the Kymco really feel like a toy (but a fun toy). I remember when I got the DR, I had been riding a WeeStrom for a year and the DR felt like a motorized bicycle on the ride home from the dealer, it was so light and maneuverable compared to the Wee. Now, the scooter is the one that feels like a motorized bicycle and the DR feels like a real motorcycle! Funny how perceptions can change, isn't it?
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote