View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
Trice:
If you've covered this elsewhere in your report, my apologies.

What have been your observations of the security situation in the Mexican borderlands? You mention the soldier with the grenade launcher. But clearly you've made it without getting crossed up with any narcotraficantes. What were the Mexican border areas like?

For what it's worth, I grew up in McAllen, crossed the border countless times to visit family in Monterrey. But the last time I did this there was 1998. To state the obvious, things are different now.

I dream of riding my RS down Chiapas with a stop in Monterrey to visit la familia (mi familia, no La Familia). But it seems like it would be too nerve-wracking these days.

Very well done report!
I've copied this to the Is Mexico Safe? thread. There are 2,700+ posts and 180 pages+ over there that talks to this. I and other inmates there can (and have, extensively) expound on my/their thoughts and experiences.

I'll give you a little teaser right now though: Now is the time to visit Mexico, especially since the news media reports of violence are at an all-time high. Sounds like backwards logic, but I have provided the rationale behind it. See the thread link.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote