View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Building motors is fun for me, been doing it for many yrs and it just plane relaxs me. If it's not broke, I have to figure out away to fix it.
I was going to document prices for this whole build, but I didn't write anything down when starting to purchase this stuff, but I do remeber everything that went into it.
First was the weisco crank and rod. Pricey at about $300 but it's heavy duty and I don't want to take a chance on running old parts at this point.
I've heard great things about JE pistons and since I've always used wiesco I thought I'd give it try. I can't remember how much more it was but I do know it was more money than the wiesco's.
Just so you know, I went back to the stock 398cc's but raised the compression to 10.5-1.
I was suprised to see a spec sheet that came with the piston, showing measurments and weight. Already a plus, not that it makes much difference, looking at the piston it does appear to be better quality. But I'll find out after a year or so riding if it is better.
I had also heard about using a crf450 cam chain, they say it's cheaper, but I don't really care about that, I like the idea that it's stronger.

It's starting to take shape.
As I stated before about the vavle guides going bad.
All new kibble white stuff in here. The parts were around $200 to $250, but the sticker shock came out the machine shop installing them $350 .

But they look nice in there.
I had already ported the head awhile back.
D-shaping the exhaust ports.

Cleaned up the intake. This use to be nice and shiny but they used glassbead to clean them up.

booger1 screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 08:01 AM
booger1 is online now   Reply With Quote