View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
We get up the next day to a little rain, put our gear on and take off shooting for Manali.

Again, this route is jammed with trucks and here's the typical scene; a truck heading right at us in our lane as he overtakes another one.

We drop down into a deep valley that has numerous busy little villages along the route.

Nothing wrong here amazingly! Just a fuel stop and of course oil fill up for my thirsty beast.

We are traveling along the Beas river which has quite a bit of population along it, scattered through the steep hills.

We take a right and start heading up a sizable tributary to the Beas river. Clouds are breaking and it's turning into a really nice day and the scenery is starting to really come on.

It's been wet in Northern India, the rivers are flowing big time and….

….. the reservoirs are full.

This is turning into an awesome ride up this valley!! We are really starting to feel the Himalaya's as we start to actually get into them.

The young Indian boys LOVE to get photos with western women. They think they're pretty cool getting photos on their cell phones to show their friends. "Madam! One photo, one photo" is their phrase which turns into a mini photo shoot that you need to cut short or you'll be there all day.

Buuurrrt's bike is starting to show it's colors now with a nice little oil drip. Mine is starting to make a deep knock. I have a good idea what it is but I don't want to admit it and I pretend that it's no big deal. Also, I'm trying to figure out if the valve tapping is getting louder or if my mind is just playing tricks on me.

The route through these little towns was quite tight and busy as we headed up the valley toward Manali.

The roads are starting to deteriorate as we climb.

We make it to Manali not long before dark and find a seedy little cheap hotel. We will climb Rohtang Pass in the morning so I decide to give the bike a once over. I pull the tank, valve covers and rocker arm covers. NOT GOOD!! Metal shavings are jammed in the ports again. We discuss this and decide to do an oil change thinking perhaps there was just some metal left from the first break down. We wander around town, have some awesome food and a couple of beers and call it a night.

The bikes went 214km and all we had to do to them this day was add oil, clean out the metal shavings and change the oil.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 01-16-2011 at 12:51 PM
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote