View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
lilolita OP
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,285
Canada Day 4: Fundy National Park, NB to Alma, NB (21 miles)

Scrambled eggs & home fries in Chignecto North campground

Our first morning waking up in Canada! I made an extra baked potato last night and mashed that into delicious home fries this morning along with scrambled eggs. Man, Canada is cold.

Our goal today was to ride into the town Alma, which appeared to be the center of the universe according to the signs along the roadside riding toward the park. “Pizza!” screamed one. “Lobster!” screamed another. I was looking forward to a stroll through town and my first glimpse of the famous Fundy bay.

I really don’t know what I was expecting. I grew up in a small town, but Alma, sheesh, it’s a very small town. It does have a post office which is more than my hometown can claim. We gassed up and went into the attached shop to pick up some food to cook up for dinner.

It was also a liquor store and they actually had Strongbow cider! And Bounty bars! Sign me up, Canada, I’m ready to never leave. As we are finishing checking out, having had a nice chat with the woman behind the counter, a guy comes in and starts grabbing the owner’s daughter (who appears to be a teenager or maybe in her early twenties). The girl, dressed all in black a la depressed goth, starts screaming and the guy responds by screaming back. At the very first, we thought they were playing around, but then the mom starts screaming and shoves the daughter toward the bathroom because it has a locked door.

Alma, New Brunswick, Canada

We’re both dressed in full gear, but I still go to stand behind one of the aisle displays and push my boyfriend out in front of me. Like what is he going to do? I figure, well, it’s Canada, they don’t have guns here. The girl finally makes it into the bathroom and the mom pushes the guy out of the shop door and locks it. Then she remembers that we are still in the shop. She looks over and I nod, and she unlocks the door so we can leave. I avert my eyes because, well, it has to be a bit embarrassing, but we all have our troubles. I just hope the girl gets her act together and gets rid of the guy.

It has started to rain, just a little bit, a little mist, so we walked down to the bakery which supposedly sells the best sticky buns in all of New Brunswick. The woman behind the counter had on a hair net and drawn on make-up, as if she spent too much time trying to emulate Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra. It was classic 1960′s. I’m starting to really love little Alma.

The famous Fundy Bay tide

We sat on a bench outside of the shop and scarfed down the buns. Mmmmm. We’re walked the town twice now, and we’re ready to head back into the national park for some hiking. I had seen a short trail that leads to a waterfall on one of the hiking maps.

View down the main street in Alma, New Brunswick, Canada

We head back into the Fundy National Park and take the Laverty Auto Trail, which is a nicely groomed, gravel road to hike to Laverty Falls. It was grey and misty out, but we didn’t know what the weather forecast was. We parked the bikes and left our helmets attached to the bikes (along with that evening’s dinner and drinks) before heading into the woods.

Laverty Auto Road, Fundy National Park

The hike was listed as a couple of kilometers to the falls. We were about 10 to 15 minutes into the walk and it started to rain, just a light drizzle. Nothing to turn us back. We kept walking. And walking. The rain got heavier. The trail turned into a muddy track for the rain to stream down. We kept walking. I may not know what a kilometer is, but there is no way it was only 2.4 kms to the falls. We must have walked 40 minute and still no falls. But we were so wet, drenched, that we continued, begrudgingly, trudging toward the falls.

Laverty Falls, Fundy National Park

We finally got to the falls, but we were so wet, and so cold, and the rocks were so slippy, that we took a look, said, “Ohhhhhh” and then turned around. We hiked the muddy route back out to the parking lot. My helmet was soaked. His helmet was soaked. My jacket and pants and boots were soaked. And so were his. Because it was hot hiking, we didn’t have everything zipped up tightly.

At this point we just wanted to get back to the campsite and get into the little house thing that campgrounds in Canada have.

One picture = a thousand words

We get back to the campsite and the boyfriend decides he wants to do the laundry so he can dry stuff. I bring all my wet gear into the communal building. A couple have built a fire in the stove and it’s toasty warm. I stretch my stuff all over the place, asking if it’s ok with the fire couple and the family with the most beautiful children I have ever seen. Everything says it’s fine. I think they feel sorry for us.

I join the boyfriend in the laundry room and there’s another guy in there. Men who do their own laundry…gotta love Canada! Turns out he just bought a KLR650 so he was excited that we were moto-camping. The lint filter on the dryer was clean. There are so many wonderful things about this country.

I rode out and picked up some more firewood as the rain subsided as it grew darker. I left all my gear in the communal room overnight so it would dry out for tomorrow’s ride out of New Brunswick and into Nova Scotia.

Combat Touring boots are not waterproof
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote