View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Getting There

Crating up the bikes was a semi-stressful event, but in the end we were really happy with the finished product. It was a 2-day event and Mr. Nick managed to skip out of day 2 due to a "work party." You see Nick is an enginer and quit his job to do this trip.

Crate Finished

The next day we drove around clare getting paperwork notorized and making copies for Worldwide Shipping Co. We drove down to Chicago to drop off the bikes. The guys working there were really friendly, but didn't have muh info for us. Apparently they are just the 3rd party that takes the crate to the airport. We just signed a release paper and left. So now we are driving back to Clare without the bikes. We havn't paid for shipping and just hope that our quote was accurate. Well, the quote wasn't accurate. They tacked on another $400 haha.

I tend to put things off till the last minute and packing for the trip was no exception. Finally at 6:30 a.m. after an all-nighter I was ready to leave.

The morning we left Nick's dad who is an anesthetist taught me how to stich up an orange and went through the med kit that he put together for us. We are pretty much a mini-pharmacy. Typical airport stuff happened next, I got my cell phone turned off for the next 5 months. I didn't call my friend Jesse Neil and I got called out for it via facebook. (sorry Jesse)

we landed in Frankfurt and had to claim our checked luggage because the layover would be 10 hours. We checked it back in, then took a train to the city. The ticket booth was confusing so we just hopped on the train sans tickets. It worked out ok and we made it just fine.

It was really cold there with snow and ice on the ground. It's alwasy cool to see the weird cars and bikes that they don't have in America.

This would be the last picture taken where I am not sweating profusely.

back on the place we slept and woke up to some eggs and spinach.

It started getting light and the clouds parted.... AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!! This is Namibia

After the 11 hour flight we land in Cape Town South Africa stinky, greasy and happy. Now time to find a place to stay for the night.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote