View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #56
Brauhausbier OP
Time for studying

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
From someone who's done a few XR rebuilds, I recommend the following:

A new timing chain. They're 100 bucks, but it'll keep the top end tight for a long time to come.

New valves and springs, preferably stainless valves. Also have the seats recut. Your valves may clean up ok and be ok for a while, but they wear out. They will start creeping up into the head and you'll need a valve job. It's much better to get them freshened up now and be able to trust that engine for a long time to come.

Countershaft? That front sprocket play does not look good. As said, look at the splines for damage. If you find wear, you need a new shaft. Splitting the cases is required for that. Luckily, it's not that bad at all. I even made videos on it.

Good luck with the rebuild. With new valves, timing chain, piston and rings - that bike will be like brand new.
Thank you! It looks like the PO who put in the Hot Cam also put in a new timing chain and cam bearings. The cam chain was very tight with no slop even when I removed the cam chain tensioner and looked brand new as did the hot cam. However, I have no paper work with this bike to prove this. I'll pull off the sprocket on the spline and check that out soon enough. I'm hoping the spline is ok. I will be asking for links to your videos if I have to split the case

I found a local engine guy who can cut the valve seats and I have new KB valves and valve gaskets on thier way. I'm going to have him measure the springs before making a new spring purchase.

I appreciate the info! Cheers!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote