View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #43
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 853
Huston We Have a Problem!

There is a revision in the instructions.

Do not torque down (to 10nm) the 6mm x 25mm bolts that attaches the oil cooler to the oil cooler mount.

Inmate Haywood had a problem in this step. It looks like I overestimated the torque value of the two bolts going into the oil cooler. I my effort to make this installation as perfect as possible, I used a torque value recommended for 6mm bolts.

I will PM everybody that has a kit with the following instructions:

Revision to page 7, step 12 in the instructions.
1. Do not use Loctite
2. Do not torque to 10mn
3. I suggest running a 6mm x 1.0 bottoming tap into each threaded boss on the oil cooler (using oil). If you are not able to do this, please PM me.
4. Tighten the bolts just enough to collapse the lock washer.
5. Please pay attention to the "note" on this instruction page.

Oil cooler kits to be sold in the next batch will have a revised instruction manual along with the oil cooler threaded bosses inspected and cleaned up.

Please PM me if you have any problems.
If you have installed the cooler without problems, I feel that you will not have to worry about anything. I would suggest that if you have to remove the oil cooler in the future, make sure that it is very warm before you loosen the bolts (to soften the Locktite).

I feel sick about this. My intentions are good, but I tend to over-think things sometimes.

Thanks Haywood for the heads up!

Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote