View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #58
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Will be interesting to see how all this works out once on the road. It's one thing to outfit your bike from all you learn from vendors at BMW rallies and here on ADV, but as the Irishman points out ... the reality on the road may bring an awakening of sorts. Simple and basic is best if you really plan to get out in harms way.

All part of the "Adventure" ? Sure, I get it ... but dealing with constant problems or waiting for parts or repairs gets very old very quickly.
I'd suggest a nice one month shakedown ride through Mexico to start. Maybe a bit of Baja? Copper Canyon? ... just as a warm up.

Complex electrics and endless farkles may only bring misery. But only getting out on the road will prove what works and what is fluff. Most important thing is that you understand how to diagnose ... and since you've torn your bike apart numerous times, you should be more than up to the job. That bike looks very dense and complicated to me.
The other end of that spectrum: I had an airhead GS, 92 R100GS, that is about as simple as they come with respect to electrics, motor, etc. I spent more time tinkering on that sumbitch to get it moving than I did actually riding. Wasn't a single trip I ever went on that something didnt go haywire resulting in me doing field repairs. On the other hand, my F800 has not given me a single bit of grief.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote