Originally Posted by BerndM
I'm just curious though that considering the amount of work and time involved in getting the gearbox out, would it not have been a good idea to replace the clutch? Maybe there was plenty of material left on the clutch. You didn't mention this so that's why I'm asking.
How long did it take you to get to where you had access to the clutch?
Thanks, I knew
that I forgot to mention something! (Likely many things
). The clutch looked great, lots of material left on the friction disc but I'll admit I totally forgot to take an actual thickness measurement. As mentioned at the start of the thread, I first tackled this type job when the clutch on my '94 RS was cooked at 30k miles - worn down to the rivets due apparently to bad friction material design from BMW's supplier (new clutch was a different part number). Point here is, I've gained experience with what a worn/bad clutch looks like and I still have the worn RS clutch assembly for reference. Makes a great conversation piece on the coffee table, too.
My buddy's R1150GSA original friction disc measured 5.6 or 5.8 mm (been a couple of years) when we did his clutch splines at 92k miles, and considering that new is 6 mm and min thickness is, I believe, 4.6 or 4.8 mm, there was no reason to change his so we didn't. From the look of my GSA's clutch, I'd expect it has at least another 100k on it. I plan to do this procedure every 50k to 60k miles (two to three years), so I'll keep an eye on the clutch and just change it when necessary.
Timewise, getting to the point where I had the gearbox out was probably 3 to 4 man-hours of actual work. Figuring out and removing the $#^%@ TB manifold clamps, wrestling the starter cover and working various other things like the clutch slave bolt heads added to the time involved, but I'll breeze through those next time. You can double or triple my man-hour number though for all of the evaluation involved with determining what needed to come off and how best to execute the whole project.
Too bad BMW didn't add a connector for the subframe wiring harness near the battery/seat lock mechanism. Figuring out what needed done, gaining access to the connector near the taillight and then getting the harness free took probably 1/2 hour of labor that a simple connector would have eliminated, but c'est la vie!