View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #11
RBJohns
FNG

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

2. I rode some in college in the late 70s (a Honda 350 and a Moto Guzzi 1000), but I didn't own the bikes and merely borrowed them from friends.

1. I'm almost 48 and coming up on 20 years of marriage. For the last 15 years or so I'd been telling my wife that I'm gonna get a Harley before I reach 40. So shortly before my 40th birthday, I went to a local dealership and bought a new 1998 FLSTF. My wife had a freakin' fit, but got over it.

3. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get serious about riding after college. But I was in the military and moved around a lot and ended up on long deployments to foreign countries. Plus, I was in armored cavalry units and got to ride in tanks, helicopters, Bradleys and other armored vehicles and fire large caliber weapons.

Once I got out in '92, life became more stable and predictable (which equates to boring as far as I'm concerned), and I had to start riding again just to keep from pacing the floor at home.

4. The FLSTF got stolen in 1999. I replaced that with a 2000 FLTRI... which I wrecked in Hungry Horse Montana in 2001. Then I got a 1996 FLHR as an knockaround bike until I figured out what I really wanted. My wife bought me a 2004 FLTRI in January 2004 as a present, and just last weekend I brought home a 2002 KTM 640 Adventure.

So now we're a 3 bike family, and my wife is taking the MSF riders course later this summer and plans to get her license. Then I'll fix up the FLHR so it's comfortable for her, but she also wants to ride dirt with me, so we'll probably pick up a dirt bike for her as well.

Rich
RBJohns is offline   Reply With Quote