View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I replaced my clutch pressure plate last fall and went through a similar experience. Overall, this is not all that hard to do. Like jdub I replaced the BMW hose clamps with worm style ones. They were easy to take off but mine self-destructed trying to put them back on.

Here are a couple things I noted during this procedure:
1. The BMW manual says to replace the top bolt on either side mounting the rear frame to the engine with headless ones, as these also support the frame coming from the front head stock.

This is the bolt I fabbed up. I used my dremel to cut off the head and cut a slot for a flat blade screw driver.

This is the left side bolt, the top one, that is replaced. The one on the right side is in the same spot. Here is a pic with the replacement bolt in place.

2. Here is a picture of the hidden bolt below the air box that holds the rear frame to the engine. Its the one top right in the picture.

3. When you are pulling the rear frame away, if you don't want to mess with your final drive have someone slide the driveshaft of the transmission otherwise, like mine, it may pull forward and slide off the final drive shaft. When reassembling this is also the spot to have a helper guide not only the drive shaft but also the rubber boot onto the transmission. I didn't have a helper and needed plenty of expletives before I had that boot slid over the transmission output.

4. If, like me, you are in there to do work on your clutch, you just need to remove the six bolts mounting the clutch and pressure plate to the engine output plate. These should be replaced when reassembling. I didn't have the tool for aligning the clutch, so I centered the clutch plate by eye, finger tightened the six bolts, then slid the transmission with the clutch release rod onto its guide pins and tightened up one of the clutch bolts accessible above the transmission. Then I carefully pulled the transmission back of and torqued the bolts properly in the usual criss cross order. Worked like a charm.

That's my contribution to jdub's excellent write up. I have a bunch more pictures, so if someone want to see something not already in pics, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote