View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
JStrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
started at 35

I can remember the day like it was yesterday. I was 12 years old and the neighbor kid let me borrow his Yellow YZ 80. I was having a blast ripping down the street until another neighbor's dog darted in front of me and I promptly wrecked. Lots of road rash, but I was hooked. I would openly fantasize about motorcycles, but at the same time let my Mother and later my wife would forbid me from ever actually getting one.

Fast forward 23 years. I finally convinced the wife to let me get a XR 400, telling her that dirt bikes were safer. Rode that for two years and then got a KLR 650. Got rid of the wife and the KLR about the same time and took the MSF course to develop the street skills. As a divorce present I bought myself a Suzuki DL650 V-strom in March of 2005.

In retrospect, I think its a good thing that life conspired to keep me off the bike until my mid-thirties. I think I've matured enough now that I know my limits and stay well within them. Staying alive is more important than going fast now-a-days. Besides if I die, who's going to pay all that alimony?

Rode 350 miles through the rockies yesterday and can't wait to get back on.
JStrom is offline   Reply With Quote