View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Why can't you put an emulator on an ATE fork? I have seen it done many times. I would not call it advanced as is.

The right preload on the stock springs and the right oil can make a big diff on their own.
No reason you can't put emulators in the ATE forks, I'm just repeating what I've heard. It's also not as easy as the later ones and I've heard the emulators won't make that much of a difference. On top of that, a set of ATE forks in good condition and well se-up handle very well. I don't see any reason to fool with them.

I'm not a fan of the stiffer springs that I often find in these things. They make the ride so stiff that every little bump transferrs to the bike. Guys attempt to remove the brake dive with stiffer springs and loose that wonderfully compliant front suspension. The better approach is to learn how to ride these things without jamming on the front brake. That's the way to eliminate the brake dive.

The ATE front ends have a rubber bumper at the bottom to stop the clank on top-out. They should be available from the dealer, but the top-out springs, I don't know. They're just a spring as I recall, and perhaps a spring shop could duplicate them. I've got some around here somewhere, but have no idea what rate they would be, though I could give the dimensions.