View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Snip... Guys attempt to remove the brake dive with stiffer springs and loose that wonderfully compliant front suspension. The better approach is to learn how to ride these things without jamming on the front brake. That's the way to eliminate the brake dive.

The ATE front ends have a rubber bumper at the bottom to stop the clank on top-out. They should be available from the dealer, but the top-out springs, I don't know. They're just a spring as I recall, and perhaps a spring shop could duplicate them. I've got some around here somewhere, but have no idea what rate they would be, though I could give the dimensions.
I have to agree with you on this one.

The ATE fork works very well if it's set up correctly. When I rebuilt mine, I used a set of medium stiffness progressive forks, the rubber bumpers and 7.5 weight oil. I also added a billet top clamp and a Telefix brace and now I have the best stock Airhead front end I've ridden so far. It's smooth and very compliant.

I have heard that a good anti-dive spring is a pair of Chevy 350 valve springs. I'm going to install a pair and I'll let you know how they work but the tip cam from a pro Airhead wrench, so it might be a good one.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote