View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #66
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I'm a little worried about power. She is only 110# and I know some 200# guys ride these things around, but still, I consider my KLR to be barely powerful enough to ride on the street, you want to be able to pass someone on a country road or pull away from someone at a light. I'm hoping that with her tiny butt on it, it would be more or less capable of keeping up with me on the KLR on twisty back roads and the occasional 70 mph highway stint just for a few miles here and there.
I weigh a lot more than 110#, and the CRF230L is pretty quick up to 60 mph... and it will readily go 70 mph. Do you really see your wife passing people who are going 55 or 60 on a twisty backroad? And, does she want to be hanging on to the handlebars for dear life while the wind at 60 mph-plus is trying to push her back off the bike?

The reason I picked up my 230L is so I can go trail riding with my young son, on his new-to-him XR70R. I know and accept that I'm going to have to ride at his pace, in a style that is enjoyable to him, when we ride together. The same thing is true for anyone who rides with someone else who is less-skilled; if you want to ride together you're going to have to ride at their pace, and if you want to ride together a lot you're going to have to make sure it's fun for them.

If you're looking for a high speed road bike, or something you can win the Baja 1000 on against all comers, then don't look at the CRF230L. If you're looking for a bike that works reasonably well on everything except the superslab, is great for cruising (not bombing) down dirt roads and all but the most extreme single-track, especially for those of us who are height-challenged, then the CRF230L is a very good choice.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote