View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorjazz View Post

2. The shafts are really hard to turn around. I have replaced all the bearings and it is well oiled, but when I stuck a drill on one end of the shaft to spin it around, it took a great deal of torque to get it to move.
shafts should be easy to turn by hand! no drill required! did you get the bearings/shafts in straight and not cocked? when you put the cases back together did it take alot of force? some force may be necessary on the crank bearings, but the transmission side should go together quite easily - the fit is not as tight on transmission bearings like it is on crank bearings.. i think you got it all jammed up/warped/binding/something interfering. if you gotta split it again, put it together without the crank in there and see how it goes together - it should be very smooth.

when you reassemble cases, you can pretty much tell if you got it wrong. if it's really difficult to get the last 1/4" - 1/2" of the cases together, something is wrong. for lack of a better description - it sometimes takes a little fiddling to get everything lined up, but once it's all correct, it will just go together easily like it was never apart, and was meant to be together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorjazz View Post
1. It is really hard to make it shift. I seem to be able to get it in all the gears, but I really have to fiddle with the shift lever to make it work. Sometimes it drops right in, but most of the time I have to move it back and forth before it will go to the next gear. I think there is a combination of things causing this, but it's kind of hard to pin-point what's really going on because to get everything in place so it will shift, you have to close it all up and you can't look inside to see what's going on. The slots in the gear shifter place are a bit worn and the pin that rides in the slot is worn as well, so I'm guessing things could hang up there. Also the shifting forks ends and the grooves they ride in are pretty worn as well, causing things to be a bit sticky.
if the shafts don't spin easily it'll never shift. any wear or slop in any shift parts will make it not shift properly. there is very little room for error in a shift selector.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 07:23 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote