I split the engine case back open yesterday and found that there was only one bearing at the bottom that was hard to turn around. I pulled the shaft out that was going through the bearing and re-seated the bearing.
The way it says to put the case together is to put everything into one side, including the bearings that will be in the other half of the case. then heat that other case up and slide everything together. That's the way I did it the first couple of times. So this time I put the bearings in both of the cases, then with a torch, heated the one bearing that was the tightest fit, and tapped everything together. I think this is what made the difference because doing it the "proper" way caused the bearings to not seat completely into the case, my way everything appears to be where it belongs. I also polished some of the ends of the shifting forks and the "cam" slot they ride in, plus I polished a cam that is used in the kick starter section.
Got the whole thing together and the result of all this is that everything seems to be working like it should.
Now on to the cylinder, head and piston...
Life is short, live and enjoy it !!!
05' BMW R1200GS - If you can only afford one bike...
06' VStrom 650 - Fond memories (gone)
06' Suzuki DRZ400 - Wish I could afford two bikes (gone)
07' VStrom 650 ABS (Silver)
05' VStrom 650 (Red) - Sold to get one with ABS