View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I was amazed when Len told me you had the engine out already. Heck yeah! You just earned your Detroit street cred

Anybody know how much work is it to separate the case or what's involved? Does it separate horizontally? I don't have the bike in front of me so I can't check.

I saw someone comment on the thumper forum saying that the left side crank bearing is oiled by the 2-stroke tank somehow? They said that's why you can't run pre-mix in this engine. Anybody know anything about that? Again, it was a random comment on the internet and doesn't make a lot of sense but I thought I'd ask.

Presumably then the bike is oil injected, so theres a seperate tank for each: gas and 2smokeoil, and the thing mixes iteself, while simultaneously drawing oil off the 2msokeoil tank to feed a part of the crank. Normally the whole crank would theoretically be served by the oil in the pre-mix. Here its a partial.
It would probably be going to far to say that this is somehow related to the fact that one crank seal can be gotten to without splitting cases, and the other is different. IMTUAIG
(I'm making this up as I go)