View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #52
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
don't disable the oil injection system. It'll start and run fine for a few minutes and then the mains will die. as someone above stated, that generation suzuki used the premix injected onto the mains to lube them.

I would clean and inspect each of the hoses that run to and from that oil pump. if any are dry rotted or pinched or cracked they'll leak or cause issues. There may be a oil filter inline somewhere too and that needs to be clean so it doesn't restrict oil flow. By all means get all the old oil out of the oil tank and flush it to ensure it's clean. Any dirt or grime in there will be injected into the motor. I've never seen an oil pump fail if it was run in clean oil. They fail when dirt is allowed into the system or they're run dry. There's also an adjustment that allows the oil pump to be calibrated to the throttle opening. don't remember how it works on a suzi, but your service manual will probably detail it.

If it was me, and it's not, I would most certainly change the crank seals. They're cheap, and after 30 years theyre either not sealing well or they won't seal well under the new pressures that the new piston and rings and cylinder will create. If the magneto side goes it'll suck air, run lean, and you can burn a piston in a hurry. If it's on the wet side, it'll suck oil and foul plugs. Seals will cost you 25-40 bucks for both and will ensure its done right.

I had a TS 185 when I was about 11. To me back then it was a monster of a bike and I could start it but couldn't touch the ground. Was ugly as all get outs, but screamed. Sold it to a friend who was taller than I. I think I weighed about 85 lbs at the time.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is offline   Reply With Quote