View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #66
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
to dissasemble forks, first it needs to be all together with springs in and caps on it. drain fluid, or else it will get messy.
the quick way:
place fork upside down (or in vise), compress fork as much as you can. put rattle gun on retaining bolt and spin it off. spring should put enough pressure to allow bolt to loosen without spinning. i always give the bolt a good wack with a flat punch first to unsieze the threads.

if tube is spinnning (it shouldn't, but if it does), clamp it back in the triple tree, then compress spring and rattle gun the bottom retainer bolt.

to remove fork seals. remove cap and springs. remove snap ring that retains the fork seal - you will need to clean the dirt out above the snap ring.. place lower in vise (clamp at the axle mount if you have no soft jaws/vblocks. yank on fork tube. you may need to work fork tube like a slide hammer to get it out. you will not need the bottom damper retainer bolt out on this model of fork i believe. the snap ring on top of the fork seal has to be removed though.

to replace fork seals if you do not have a specific seal press, wrap electrical tape around fork tube, place old seal on tube, place new seal on tube. use old seal/electrical tape setup to seat/press new seal. kinda hard to explain without picture... also, i put a greased piece of plastic bag over the fork tube end to stop burrs on tube from damaging new seal. then remove bag when seal is slid on tube.

when it's all apart, get everything clean. make sure there's no junk in the bottom of the stanchion, and the damper rod holes (if there is any on the sides) are not blocked. clean clean clean and you won't need to redo fork seals for a very very long time...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 06:18 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote