Thread: Klr2tdf
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #108
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
First off,my bike is running some.I am in Coyhaique,Chile.About 170 miles south of La Junta.

Back to my trip now.When I left Argentina I planned to ride the Carretera Austral south.Not much traffic on this road of mostly dirt and gravel.

[/IMG]

I didn't get too far south when the bike quit again.

[/IMG]

I am looking for a place to set my tent up.It has rained the whole time I have been in Chile this time.Great conditions for working on a problem I couldn't resolve in good conditions.I got the bike started and it went about 50 feet.My battery is getting a little sluggish.I am pushing the bike to a safer spot on the road.A guy and a boy in a small flatbed pull up and ask if I need help.He tells me to load the bike on his truck.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

It's about 5 miles to the town of La Junta.It's a town of about 1200 (per my wife).I thought the guy said 100.I told him I would like a hotel with cover where I could work on my bike.He says he has a horse shed that I can use.And if I want,I can set my tent up there too.So that's where I spent the night.It was a clean small horse shed.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The next morning I am working on the bike,and I hear somebody in the other side of the shed.An old man comes over and talks to me.I don't understand a word he says.He signals me to follow him.We go next door to his small house.He makes coffee for me and gives me some bread and jam.I don't know him.And he doesn't know me.But he takes me into his house and feeds me.A little later this pretty young girl comes in.

[/IMG]

She is Cyntia,the sister of Aliro,the guy that brought me here.The old man is Vitalilio,their grandfather.

[/IMG]

Cyntia is a great girl.She had a translator in her Ipod,and we wore the batteries in it out.She cooked lunch and supper for us.Her boyfriend,Christian,came for lunch.He was mechanically minded and had good suggestions.AI think I was there till after midnight.

That night I stayed in an extra room at Vitalilio's house.Warm and dry.The next day Cyntia came and asked if I wanted to go to a mechanic.I thought maybe a new set of eyes would help.We went to a guy that had a lot of engine parts in his back yard.He looked at electrical connectors first.He brought out a pepsi bottle with gas and a hose and hooked it up to my carburetor.It ran kind of okay.He said to go fill up with new gas because he thought mine was bad.So I put 4 gallons on top of my 3 gallons.After taking Cyntia and Vitalilio to a nice restaurant for lunch I headed south on Carretera Austral.I want to thank Cyntia for being so helpful.She spent a lot of time with me.

[/IMG]

I did take some pictures going south.But when the engine RPM got low,it had a tendency to stall.The 2 times it stalled,I had a good hill to bump start it.The starter wasn't getting it done.I hope it is just some of the bad gas causing it.Many pictures I wanted to take and didn't because it was flat ground.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I didn't leave La Junta till 5pm.But I needed to get down the road some.10 miles before I get to Coyhaique my low beam goes out.I switch to the high beam.5 minutes later it goes out.I will drive with my turn signal on to get to town.I come to a tunnel.I go in 30 feet and can't see the other side.I turn around and wait for a car to follow.After following 2 cars through I go about 1/4 mile and the engine stops.With nothing else to do in the middle of nowhere again,I dig through my spare parts and find my headlight bulb that I took out in Central America.It burned out the low beam.I put it in and tried to start the motor.It argued for a while,but finally gave up and started.So I putted along to town.I went slowly because my high beam was flickering.It was living by a thread.I got to Glady's Hospedaje-$32.I am now debating whether to go to a bike shop or gamble that another fill up of good gas is all I need.I'll let you know the next time I have internet access.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote