View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Hey Paul, out of curiosity, did you try regular automotive studs? If so, did you find they had significant disadvantages over the Aerostich studs, aside from the need to be inserted with a studding gun? Or have you only used the Aerostich studs?

I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Scorpion Pros with automotive studs, and they work great on hardpack, although the knob pattern on the rear tire is a bit too spread out so the rear gets a little squirrelly with the slightest hint of slush. I'm tempted to keep the front tire (which works well) and next year replace the rear with a TKC or Dunlop D606 or something. If those Aerostich studs present a significant advantage, I'll spring for those instead of finding a studding gun to borrow.

Thanks, and enjoy your ride up north! I'll be following along with enthusiasm.

--mark
Hi Mark!
Yes I have tried other types in the past, and even though the automotive are a bit better on ice ( A Bit) I find that they are the craps on dry asphalt as you lose braking and traction. The Stich ones you do not even feel on asphalt and to not affect the way your bike feels during braking or accelerating. On our was here we were riding at 100 km/h (60 MPH) at times and tried to break the rear end lose while we were on ice and it was hard. My rear TKC i have used in 08 and for the 2010 FBT i gave to my friend Ryan and it has 25,000 kms on it and still has more than half the rubber left. Plus when you are done with them you can remove them and use your tire normally. That is one huge advantage.

I, for one would not do what I do anymore without the Stich studs. the #4706 are the cat's meow!!
I am not saying this just because they are onboard with us. I would not recommend something that is not good no matter what.

I hope this helps.
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote